Now, the NY Dept. of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has put out some new regulations for high volume horizontal hydraulic fracturing - but the new rules do not upgrade or replace the old rules.
The new regs. specify that there will be no drilling:
- within 500 feet of a residential water well, domestic supply spring or water well or spring used to supply water for livestock or crops;
- within 500 feet of an inhabited dwelling or place of assembly;
- within a primary aquifer and a 500-foot buffer from the boundary of a primary aquifer;
- within a 100-year floodplain;
- and within 2,000 feet of any public water supply including reservoir, natural lake or mane-made impoundment (except those constructed for fresh water storage associated with fracking).
So if you live near a well, this is what you'll likely hear all day and all night for at least a few weeks.